Sunday, December 26, 2010

relief from roasted animals

65. salad Nicoise

I give in. I'm done. I've had enough roasted meat and potatoes to last me for a couple of weeks. I need to retreat into the realm of salads. I shall start with my very favourite salad. A classic. A beautiful salad. Nicoise. 'Nicoise' is the name given to dishes from the region surrounding the city of Nice. The salad combines many things associated with the region: anchovies, olives and tomatoes.

Larousse Gastronomique's version is a lot like the one in The Les Halles Cookbook, which is what I usually make. It contains the afore-mentioned staples plus artichoke hearts, capsicum, celery, eggs, lettuce, red onion and tuna. The dressing is a simple vinaigrette.

I couldn't find artichokes in the supermarket. My suburb just isn't the kind of suburb that has a market for such a vegetable. Taro? Yes. Artichokes? Not so much. I bought a jar of preserved artichokes to see what they were like. They were cheap enough that if they were no good and I had to throw them out, I wouldn't feel bad. Turns out, they were bad. Bloody horrid. Don't buy preserved artichokes, kids.

As for the tuna, the recipe calls for 'shredded tuna'. I associate salade Nicoise with canned tuna. I've stuck with the canned stuff tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment