Thursday, December 30, 2010

happiness is a bowl of greasy, salty chicken wings

80. Marinade for small cuts of meat, fish and poultry

A confession: chicken wings are among my favourite things in the world. There are days when I crave no more than a big bowl of grilled (broiled) chicken wings--marinated first, perhaps, in a crude mixture of Tabasco sauce, olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli powder. They're right up there with pork spare ribs, so far as I'm concerned.


The marinade Larousse Gastronomique prescribes for small cuts of poultry is a bit more refined than my usual. Olive oil is the principle ingredient. It is flavoured with bay, carrot, clove, garlic, lemon juice, onion, pepper, salt, shallot and thyme.


 Chicken wings

I first joint the wings. I discard the wing tips, as they are scorch, and separate the wings into 'drumettes' and 'wingettes'. My preferred way of cooking chicken wings is under the grill (broiler). Ten minutes on each side and the meat is juicy and the skin crisp.

The chicken wings were lovely. The marinade enhanced, rather than dominated, the flavour of the chicken. The sweetness of the vegetables was subtle. Much love for this marinade. Much love.


No comments:

Post a Comment