Saturday, December 18, 2010

the better wife

53. Casseroled veal chops a la bonne femme

I've had some unpleasant experiences with this 'bonne femme' business. Both the loin of pork and loin of lamb were letdowns. I like the idea of 'a la bonne femme'--the combination of meat, potatoes, onions and cured pig is a winner--but I haven't been pleased with the results so far. The potatoes and onions always end up undercooked.

I've modified the veal a la bonne femme recipe with past failures in mind. I've given the potatoes a good half hour or so to roast in the casserole uncovered. I also deglazed the pan after browning the potatoes, onions and meat and added the reduced liquid to the casserole: ideally it'll improve flavour but, I'm hoping, it'll half steam the potatoes and meat.

The extra effort was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment