Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Americans

75. American salad

A warm night calls for a substantial salad--one of the strongest areas of Larousse Gastronomique's collection of recipes. American salad contains poached chicken breast, boiled eggs, cucumber, pineapple, sweetcorn and tomatoes. It is dressed with a simple vinaigrette flavoured with tomato ketchup.

The salad was unremarkable. Not bad, no. But nothing particularly interesting.


76. Court-bouillon eau de sel

'Eau de sal' translates to 'salt water'. And that's all this variation of court-bouillon is, although you can lightly flavour it with herbs if you like. I added a single bay leaf.

To poach the chicken breasts I placed them in the court-bouillon and bought the liquid up to the boil. I then covered the saucepan and cut the heat. The chicken sat in there for 15 minutes.


77. Potatoes with bacon

I feel like I've made this recipe already. Indeed, I just read over all my archived posts to ensure I hadn't forgotten to include it on 'the story so far' page. I figure that I'm so used of putting together bacon, pearl onions and potatoes from the 'bonne femme' recipes.

This recipe is a variation on sauteed raw potatoes. You saute the chopped potatoes in what is left over after you saute some bacon and pearl onions.


To accompany

James Squire Pilsner. Purchased mostly as I felt like James Squire--the best I can buy without travelling to Dan Murphy's or Swords or Slowbeer--but wanted a changed from the Amber and Golden ales. I suppose I should mention that I'm more of a beer and spirit drinker than I am a wine drinker. I'd be more inclined to throw down a lot of money on a couple of bottles of, say, Westvleteren 12 than an expensive bottle of wine. If restaurants offered matching beers with their degustation menus in addition to the usual matching wines, I'd be a very happy restaurant-goer. Indeed, I'm surprised some restaurants--the lovely La Luna springs to mind--don't offer this already.

No comments:

Post a Comment