Monday, December 20, 2010

hot chocolate

56. Mole poblano from the convent of Santa Rosa

I've mentioned once or twice previously that when it comes to non-French dishes, Larousse Gastronomique tends to offer inauthentic versions. The moussaka and lamb tajine are clear examples of someone taking an idea and making it his own. Adapting it to French palates and ingredients.

The recipe for mole poblano seems to be an exception. To the best of my knowledge--and I admit I don't know a hell of a lot about the cuisines of the Americas--it's pretty close to the real deal. It's very specific about the varieties of chilli that need to be used--pasilla and mulato--which is a bit of a problem, as I don't think we have access to those in Australia. This I'll need to work around, as this recipe is the most suited to using up the turkey leftover from yesterday.

Mole sauce is made using onion, garlic, chillies, breadcrumbs, aniseed, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, pumpkin seeds, almonds and turkey stock (made using the bones and various other scraps and off-cuts yesterday, reduced from maybe 3-4 litres down to 1 litre). In the final moments of the cooking process it is jacked with a little bit of chocolate.

I like mole but I didn't enjoy this version much--not through any fault on the Good Book's part but because I added probably a bit too much (a bit? heh) chilli powder. I'm a chilli head and can eat stupidly hot stuff, so I didn't find it horrible, but the hotness trod all over the other flavours in the sauce (although the chocolate, bless it, shone through still). 

No comments:

Post a Comment