Wednesday, January 5, 2011

context is everything

Me telling you I've knocked over 91, 92, 93 recipes from Larousse Gastronomique is meaningless without context. Just how many recipes does the Book contain? The introduction says 3800 but does that include the double-ups? The multiple versions of cassoulet and parsley sauce and carp au juive? Did the lowly-paid editor's assistant's assistant at the publishing house, when told to count the recipes, figure out a rough 'average recipes per ten pages' and use that to get an estimate of the total?

At some point I was going to have to give you--and myself--some context to work with. Hence, the newly uploaded list of recipes I'm yet to cook. There will be typographical errors. There will possibly be one or two recipes missing. I may still have a few double-ups. You try typing this shit out by hand. When I tried to copy and paste the list from Excel to Firefox, both applications responded with an abrupt, 'What the fuck do you think you're doing?'

But, errors aside, that's the list. That's all the stuff I have to cook. Granted, meals could easily be made that knock over half a dozen recipes in one go: a meat served with a couple of vegetables and a sauce based on some other sauce based on a stock. I'm not as crazy as I look.

Well, maybe I am. At some point I have to source fresh foie gras. That's illegal in Australia. At some point I have to stuff a sheep's stomach with a mixture of stuff that includes lamb's feet. I have to figure out what the hell I'm going to do about all those woodcock recipes. Can't get that in Australia, I'm afraid. I guess I'll have to risk the wrath of the purists and use squab or quail or silkie or the Australian native muttonbird instead. Or maybe I'll just buy an air rifle and start sniping mynahs and crows and such, hoping to find a delicious substitute ...

No comments:

Post a Comment