Wednesday, November 17, 2010

more chicken

12. Basque chicken

This is a little different from the Les Halles version, which I've made a few times before.

Basque chicken is one of those dishes that just works for me. Chicken in an easy-to-prepare, rich sauce that's a nice change from all the dairy fat-laden things I've been making lately.

Tonight I worked with bone-in chicken thighs. Two reasons behind that: they're cheaper than boneless thighs and, too, of course, meat cooked on the bone tastes better. The bones adding goodness and awesomeness and etcness to the sauce.

Firstly, I took the chicken thighs, lightly seasoned them with salt and pepper and browned them in a mixture of butter and olive oil. Then turned the heat down and cooked them for about 15-20 minutes. I removed them from the pan, drained the fat from the pan and then deglazed the pan with a splash of white wine (the recipe in the book doesn't ask for this but cleaning the bottom of the pan was necessary).

I then sauteed a large onion (diced). Waited five minutes or so then added 100 g prosciutto (the recipe calls for Bayonne ham but I've never seen that anywhere in Melbourne, so far as I can remember, and Google told me prosciutto is a fine substitute), 2 capsicums (diced) and 2 cloves of garlic (crushed). Waited another five minutes and then added 5 tomatoes (peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped) and a bouqet garni of thyme, parsley and bay. This mixture was sweated with the lid on for 20 minutes.

Overall, the dish was okay. I think the sauce needed to be cooked for longer to get a smoother consistency. That or I could have attacked it with a stick blender. If I had one. Yeah. Too, I should have diced the onion more finely and given the tomato and capsicum more time to break down.

Too, that photo looks like arse.

Larousse Gastronomique Recipe on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment